Recent Water Damage Posts
Water Damage Tips
Do you have water damage in your McKinney, Texas home or business? First, call SERVPRO of McKinney at 469-714-4955. Until our crew arrives, here are some tips to follow:
Clean Water (e.g. a broken pipe or water supply line)
- Shut off water source if possible.
- Do not enter rooms with standing water, as electric shock hazards may exist.
- Turn off circuit breakers for those areas that are wet if access is safe from potential electric shock.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting in rooms without standing water.
- Protect carpet from staining by placing foil or plastic wrap beneath furniture legs.
- Remove cushions and prop them up to allow for even drying.
- Move paintings, documents or other valuable items that may be sensitive to moisture.
- Do not leave books, newspapers, magazines or any other colored item on the floor as these items may cause staining.
- Do not use a household vacuum cleaner.
- Do not turn on ceiling fixtures (if ceiling is wet).
- Do not enter rooms where ceiling is sagging from retained water.
Contaminated Water (e.g. a toilet overflow or sewage backup)
- Avoid all contact with sewage and items contaminated by sewage.
- Wash your hands thoroughly if you come in contact with contaminated items.
- Do not walk through contaminated areas, as you could spread damage to unaffected areas.
- Do not turn on the HVAC system because there is a possibility to spread contaminated air.
- Do not use household fans to dry the structure because the air flow could cause contaminates to spread.
- Throw away any food and/or products for personal hygiene if exposed to the contaminated area.
Call SERVPRO of McKinney at 469-714-4955 for mitigation and restoration of your water damage.
Water Damage Restoration
Has a water pipe broken or an appliance water supply line failed? Has surface water invaded your home or office? Has the roof leaked? SERVPRO of McKinney is equipped to handle water damage in your home or office regardless of the cause.
Upon arrival to your home or office, our technicians will:
- Inspect the damage areas and determine the extent of the water damage.
- Advise you of the extent of the damage and our recommended restoration process.
- Begin extracting the water from your home or office.
- Place equipment specifically designed to dry the structure, such as dehumidifiers and air movers.
With the use of moisture detection equipment, our technicians will monitor the drying progress daily to ensure progress is being made. If needed, our technicians might add equipment, set up temporary containment or find it necessary to remove some structural materials, such as drywall or baseboards, to improve the drying process.
We will keep you informed throughout the drying process and will work with your insurance company.
Water Extraction and Dehumidification
We all lead busy lives, so it’s not uncommon for someone to start a load of laundry or turn on the dishwasher as they leave for work. Unfortunately, some people come home to find their home has flooded because a water hose has failed. You need emergency water removal services now! SERVPRO of McKinney has the expert technicians and equipment you need for fast and efficient water extraction and dehumidification.
We begin by extracting all free-flowing water. Based on the science of psychrometry and with the use of moisture detection equipment, our technicians will then place air movers and dehumidifiers in strategic places in your home to create a favorable environment to dry out the structure as quickly as possible. Each situation is different, but often times we are able to dry and save drywall, hardwood floors, wood and metal studs, cabinets and much more.
SERVPRO of McKinney has the experience and expertise to help you when water has damaged your home.
The Two Phases of Water Mitigation
Following water damage to your home or office, the water mitigation process is done in two phases. After inspecting your property to determine the extent of the water damage, and with your written permission, the technicians at SERVPRO of McKinney will begin Phase 1, which is to extract as much excess water as possible from the affected areas. This might also include removing carpet pad.
Phase 2, the drying phase, will then begin by strategically placing drying equipment, such as air movers and dehumidifiers. We also have specialty drying equipment to use on wood floors. If moisture is trapped behind wet baseboards or drywall, we will remove these items so that your property can be completely dried out. Throughout the drying phase, SERVPRO of McKinney technicians will use moisture detection devices to determine the amount and extent of moisture in the structure, with a goal for your property to be thoroughly dried as quickly as possible.
1 - 4 - 8
At SERVPRO of McKinney we pride ourselves in being faster to any size disaster! We follow the 1-4-8 hour timeline.
Within 1 hour of notice of loss, we always get in contact with our customers and get all pertinent information from you over the phone. Within 4 hours we will arrive on site to begin work. At your home we do an inspection and walk you through the steps we will take to complete the project to make sure you are comfortable with the process. Within 8 hours of our on-site arrival we will contact your insurance company or property manager. We will give a verbal briefing of the damage and what we foresee will be needed to be done to get the structure back to good standing in the shortest amount of time. With these guidelines our customers know SERVPRO of McKinney is there fast in their time of need.
Moisture Detection Equipment
Water can damage your home or office in two ways: by absorption through direct contact with water or by the absorption of moisture from the air. Measuring the amount of moisture in wet materials or in the air is done by using moisture detection equipment, which is later used to verify that all materials have been thoroughly dried.
The moisture detection equipment used by SERVPRO of McKinney includes: moisture sensors, which are used to detect moisture in carpets, baseboards and walls; moisture meters, which are used to determine the actual moisture content of various types of materials; and, thermohygrometers, which are used to measure both air temperature and relative humidity, from which the SERVPRO technician can then calculate specific humidity, dew point and vapor pressure.
After water has been extracted from the property, the information provided by the moisture detection equipment helps the SERVPRO technician determine the type and amount of air movers and dehumidifiers that will be needed to properly and quickly dry all moisture from your home or office.
Heavy Rains Can Cause Flooding
Heavy or extended periods of rain can cause rivers, creeks and lakes to flood low lying areas. Even if you don’t live near a body of water, heavy or extended periods of rain can cause your yard to become so saturated that the surface water in your yard could rise and flood into your home. Outside water is always considered contaminated, so if it floods into your home, in addition to the water damage there is a risk of contamination spreading in your home. Contact SERVPRO of McKinney to clean, restore and eliminate contamination and any secondary damage – including any resulting odors - in your home. Our goal is to restore your property as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Flood cleanup needs to start as soon as possible after the flood. This will minimize damage from the water and keep the cleanup and restoration costs down. The professionals at SERVPRO of McKinney have the training and equipment needed to quickly remove the water.
Flooding and water emergencies don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of McKinney provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays. You can expect an immediate response time, day or night.
In many cleaning and restoration situations, immediate action is needed. With over 1,700 U.S. and Canadian Franchise locations, SERVPRO is strategically positioned to be faster to any size disaster. An immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Water can be invasive, quickly spreading throughout your property and being absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, etc. SERVPRO of McKinney can arrive quickly and start the water extraction process almost immediately.
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may begin to grow.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister and bubble up.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
Bottom line for your property, act fast and do not delay! All water damages can quickly escalate to bigger problems if not dealt with. SERVPRO of McKinney is on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days year for your Water Emergency needs.
What to Expect
SERVPRO of McKinney is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of McKinney has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration—in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO of McKinney professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- The street address of the water-damaged home or business
- When did the flooding or water damage occur?
- Is there standing water?
- What caused the water damage (if known)?
- Is there electricity available (on-site)?
About SERVPRO of McKinney
SERVPRO of McKinney specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility in Gallatin, TN to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Specialty Drying Equipment
Specialty Drying Equipment used at SERVPRO of McKinney
When water takes over your property having the right tools for the job is important. SERVPRO of McKinney is equipped with the tools and resources you need to take on any size water damage disaster. We use specialty drying equipment that speeds up dry time and prevents any further damage from taking place. When you call SERVPRO of McKinney our team of restoration professionals are ready to respond and serve 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
Dehumidifiers pull moisture from the air and condense that moisture into water which is then pumped out through a hose and down a drain. We have different size dehumidifiers for different size jobs. Moisture that is not removed from the air can damage items that were not in direct contact with the flood. These items could include furniture, pictures, paintings and other various items. Our job is to quickly remove moisture from the air and using top of the line dehumidification is how we accomplish that goal.
Air movers are high powered fans that cause water to evaporate. Air movers direct air flow onto the affected area causing evaporation to take place. These fans are placed in various areas to dry flooring, walls and other water damaged areas within your structure. At SERVPRO of McKinney we use mathematical equations that allow us to place the exact number of fans needed to successfully dry your structure typically within 3-5 days.
Steps to Take if a Water Pipe Bursts
Water pipes can burst at any time, although it happens most commonly in the winter time. If this should happen at your home or business, follow these steps to help reduce the resulting water damage:
· Turn off the water supply at the main valve, which is typically located in an underground cement box at the front of your property near the street, although the valve might be in the garage or near the hot water heater.
TIP: Be prepared and locate the main water valve before an emergency arises!
· If the burst pipe is a hot water line, make sure to also turn off the water valve at the top of your hot water heater.
· Once you have turned off the main water valve, call a plumber to get the necessary repairs done to the water pipe.
If your broken pipe has caused water damage in your home or business, call SERVPRO of McKinney. Our professionals use top-of-the-line equipment to extract the water and help speed up the drying process, which will help to reduce the extent of the damage.
Tips to Preventing Frozen Pipes!
Tips to prevent pipes from freezing at your home:
- Keep a slow trickle of water flowing through faucets that connect to pipes that run through an unheated or unprotected space. The cost of the extra water is a low cost compared to the cost to repair a broken pipe.
- Seal cracks and holes in outside walls and foundations near water pipes with caulking.
- Keep cabinet doors open to allow warm air to circulate around pipes.
- Insulate pipes that pass through unheated spaces (i.e. crawlspaces, basements, garages).
- Eliminate sources of cold air near water lines by repairing broken windows, insulating walls, closing off crawl spaces and eliminating drafts near doors.
- Know where your main water shut-off valve is. If a pipe freezes or bursts, shut the water off immediately.
- When away from the house for an extended period, be careful how much you lower the heat. A lower temperature may save on the heating bill, but there could be a disaster if a cold spell strikes and pipes that normally would be safe, freeze and burst.
Weatherproofing your home against the cold will help protect your indoor plumbing against the threat of breaks.
The Water You Don't See!
Even small water damages have the potential to cause serious structural and indoor air quality issues over time. The key to avoiding costly future restoration is to handle every water problem as a real threat to your property. SERVPRO® of McKinney has the equipment, training and experience to find and dry unseen water before secondary damages occur. The proper equipment makes a measurable difference in reducing the damage expense during a fire or water loss. When time matters, technology and equipment must be counted on to perform. SERVPRO® of McKinney will answer your call with fast action and a full arsenal of drying equipment. Here are a few of the tools used by SERVPRO® of McKinney.
- Moisture Sensors are used to detect moisture in carpets, baseboards and walls.
- Moisture Meters are used to determine the actual moisture content of various materials. The moisture tester provides accurate readings, allowing SERVPRO® of McKinney to monitor the drying process.
- Thermohygrometers measure temperature and relative humidity. When armed with this information, SERVPRO® of McKinney can calculate and create an environment most conducive to drying. When facing a contaminated water loss, it is not only important to dry the structure, but the structure must also be disinfected and often deodorized.
- Ultra Low-Volume (ULV) Foggers will atomize liquid deodorizing agents, producing a fine mist that can easily penetrate the site where odor-causing residues may accumulate. This device can also be used to inject fungicides and disinfectants into wall cavities and other hard-to-reach areas.
- Thermal Foggers dispense solvent-based products by creating a dense fog. The fog consists of tiny particles of deodorant solution that attach to and neutralize odor- causing particles.