Fire Prevention Tips
To help prevent a fire in your home, there are several simple and common-sense steps for you to take. Here are some suggestions to help keep you and your loved ones safe:
- If you are cooking, don’t leave the stove unattended.
- If you need to leave the kitchen, turn the burner off.
- Keep flammable materials away from the stove when a burner is in use.
- If you are using the broiler feature, don’t leave the oven unattended.
- Don’t overload electrical outlets.
- Don’t leave flammable materials near any outlets or any appliance that has an open flame.
- Keep flammable materials at least three feet away from fireplaces, wood stoves, space heaters and radiators.
- Do not use an extension cord for an electric heater. Plus the heater directly into the outlet.
- Don’t leave fireplaces or wood stoves burning or space heaters on when you go to bed. If this is your only heat source, take precautions to make sure there are no flammable materials within three feet of the heat source.
- Be sure to have smoke detectors in your home, and change the batteries once a year.