Water Damage Tips
Do you have water damage in your McKinney, Texas home or business? First, call SERVPRO of McKinney at 469-714-4955. Until our crew arrives, here are some tips to follow:
Clean Water (e.g. a broken pipe or water supply line)
- Shut off water source if possible.
- Do not enter rooms with standing water, as electric shock hazards may exist.
- Turn off circuit breakers for those areas that are wet if access is safe from potential electric shock.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting in rooms without standing water.
- Protect carpet from staining by placing foil or plastic wrap beneath furniture legs.
- Remove cushions and prop them up to allow for even drying.
- Move paintings, documents or other valuable items that may be sensitive to moisture.
- Do not leave books, newspapers, magazines or any other colored item on the floor as these items may cause staining.
- Do not use a household vacuum cleaner.
- Do not turn on ceiling fixtures (if ceiling is wet).
- Do not enter rooms where ceiling is sagging from retained water.
Contaminated Water (e.g. a toilet overflow or sewage backup)
- Avoid all contact with sewage and items contaminated by sewage.
- Wash your hands thoroughly if you come in contact with contaminated items.
- Do not walk through contaminated areas, as you could spread damage to unaffected areas.
- Do not turn on the HVAC system because there is a possibility to spread contaminated air.
- Do not use household fans to dry the structure because the air flow could cause contaminates to spread.
- Throw away any food and/or products for personal hygiene if exposed to the contaminated area.
Call SERVPRO of McKinney at 469-714-4955 for mitigation and restoration of your water damage.