Moisture Detection Equipment
Water can damage your home or office in two ways: by absorption through direct contact with water or by the absorption of moisture from the air. Measuring the amount of moisture in wet materials or in the air is done by using moisture detection equipment, which is later used to verify that all materials have been thoroughly dried.
The moisture detection equipment used by SERVPRO of McKinney includes: moisture sensors, which are used to detect moisture in carpets, baseboards and walls; moisture meters, which are used to determine the actual moisture content of various types of materials; and, thermohygrometers, which are used to measure both air temperature and relative humidity, from which the SERVPRO technician can then calculate specific humidity, dew point and vapor pressure.
After water has been extracted from the property, the information provided by the moisture detection equipment helps the SERVPRO technician determine the type and amount of air movers and dehumidifiers that will be needed to properly and quickly dry all moisture from your home or office.
Heavy Rains Can Cause Flooding
Heavy or extended periods of rain can cause rivers, creeks and lakes to flood low lying areas. Even if you don’t live near a body of water, heavy or extended periods of rain can cause your yard to become so saturated that the surface water in your yard could rise and flood into your home. Outside water is always considered contaminated, so if it floods into your home, in addition to the water damage there is a risk of contamination spreading in your home. Contact SERVPRO of McKinney to clean, restore and eliminate contamination and any secondary damage – including any resulting odors - in your home. Our goal is to restore your property as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Flood cleanup needs to start as soon as possible after the flood. This will minimize damage from the water and keep the cleanup and restoration costs down. The professionals at SERVPRO of McKinney have the training and equipment needed to quickly remove the water.
Cleanup of Hazardous Matter
SERVPRO of McKinney has the team and the tools ready and available to help you with bio hazard cleanup. If your commercial or residential property has any hazardous toxins and you need assistance with the cleanup of this matter, give us a call at 469-714-4955. This could include blood cleanup or bodily fluids. We will come scope your property first and determine what materials need to be removed from the property and what materials can be cleaned. After cleanup has occurred we will then address any odor concerns that remain from the toxins. We can help make it "Like it never even happened."
What is IICRC?
In our website you’ll see references to IICRC; however, most homeowners don’t know what IICRC is or why it’s important for a water restoration company to adhere to the standards and guidelines established by IICRC. IICRC is the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification, which is a non-profit organization for the inspection, cleaning and restoration industry. The IICRC is an independent organization that sets and promotes high standards and ethics and technical proficiency within the cleaning and restoration industries. The standards developed by IICRC, which are used by both the water restoration industry and insurance companies, resulted in common terminology, concepts and procedures regarding cleaning and restoration.
SERVPRO of McKinney adheres to the standards and guidelines established by IICRC and requires our employees to be IICRC Certified Technicians. While we hope no one has to experience water damage, if this does happen to you we hope you will have peace of mind knowing you can rely on the IICRC Certified Technicians at SERVPRO of McKinney.
SERVPRO F1RST Responder Bowl
In a joint effort to honor the service and sacrifice of America's First Responders, the annual college football bowl game played at Cotton Bowl Stadium in Dallas, Texas has been renamed the SERVPRO First Responder Bowl. Kickoff is set for December 26th at 12:30 pm and will be televised by ESPN.
"We are proud to present the SERVPRO F1RST Responder Bowl dedicated to honoring some of the hardest working men and women in our country" Sue Steen, CEO of SERVPRO said.
First responders to be honored include police officers, firefighters, EMS workers, correctional officers, search and rescue, dispatchers, security guards, federal agents, border patrol agents military personnel who have specialized training and are the first to arrive and provide assistance at the scene of an emergency.
Storms can come at any minute. They also can go from calm to very severe just as quickly. Be prepared at your home and business with an Emergency Kit. Ready.gov suggests you
have enough supplies to last for at least three days. Below are some suggested items to
include in your kit:
- 3-day supply of nonperishable foods
- Water (one+ gallon per person per day)
- First-aid kit
- Prescription medication
- Sleeping bag or blankets
- Fire extinguisher
- Hygiene products
- Extra batteries
- Cell phone charger
- Change of clothes
- Matches in waterproof container
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Whistle to signal for help
- Pet supplies
- Infant formula and diapers
- Important documents such as insurance policies, IDs, and bank records in a plastic container
It is also suggested you keep a condensed emergency kit in your vehicle as well. For a more extensive list,
check out Ready.gov.
A home fire can be devastating. The most important aspect is that you made it out of your home safely. You will begin asking yourself if some of your belongings can be saved. SERVPRO of McKinney professionals are experts in cleaning your contents after a fire. We can help answer these questions on what is restorable and what is not for you as we walk the property.
The first thing you will have to do is get rid of the water and moisture. Not doing so will cause further secondary damage and allow mold the chance to grow. We have the proper equipment to extract remaining water and air movers and dehumidifiers to properly dry out your structure. Put furniture on wood blocks if possible and hang clothes, draperies and pillows outside to dry. For non-damaged items, content storage is recommended so nothing can cause harm to them. We can help in this process as well.
For clothes, our professionals recommend dry cleaning. Don’t attempt to clean the clothes, draperies and any other textile items yourself as this can cause permanent damage to them and generally will not remove the soot. If salvageable, a restoration expert can remove the soot from your damaged items.
After you get rid of the soot, you will want to get rid of the smoke smell in textiles and throughout the home. Thoroughly vent your home as much as possible. The experts at SERVPRO of McKinney use specialized procedures such as ozone treatment and thermal fogging to effectively remove the smell. We have a ozone room at our warehouse to place your contents in.
Non-porous items are generally easier to clean than porous items. Ultrasonic treatment and high-pressure water are some of the procedures used. Our equipment and specially formulated cleaning products can successfully remove contamination from your belongings and restore them to preloss condition.
These are a few of the helpful ways you can follow to clean your content after a home fire. The professionals at SERVPRO of McKinney have the proper expertise, tools and equipment to get the job done right and can help with dry cleaning, content cleaning and content storage.
When To Use a Fire Extinguisher
Do you know where the closest fire extinguisher is in your home or place of work? Even more importantly, do you know how to use it? Both of these things are very important to know so you know what to do in case of an emergency and to keep you safe. Listed below are some tips on when to use a fire extinguisher during an emergency.
- The outside of the extinguisher is clean, and all parts are operable and not damaged or restricted
- You have identified an escape, and the fire is not between you and the route
- You have alerted other occupants, and someone has called the fire department
- You are safe from the toxic smoke produced by the fire
- The fire is contained to a single object, such as a wastebasket
These tips are good to know so you can safely use a fire extinguisher. It is also good to familiarize yourself with the location of the fire extinguisher in your home and workplace. Stay safe!
The IICRC and Mold Principles
The IICRC outlines five major principles of mold remediation.
1. Make sure safety and health precautions are taken by cleanup professionals, such as SERVPRO. Mold-contaminated buildings can be associated with a number of health problems. Anyone involved in the mold remediation process must be protected from exposure through a combination of practices and controls.
2. A post-cleanup assessment by an independent environmental expert. An effective mold remediation cannot be developed without first determining the extent of the contamination to be removed. To ensure that remediation work is being properly performed, it is highly recommended that appropriate documentation of the remediation process be kept by project management
3. Control of mold before it spreads further. Eliminating mold at the source of contamination is essential. Once mold spores spread through the air, it will be much more difficult to capture.
4. Oversee the proper physical removal of the mold. The mold must be physically removed from the structure. Attempts to isolate mold or remove signs of mold on the surface are not adequate. Note that bleach alone cannot kill mold.
5. Ensure that moisture is controlled to limit future contamination or recontamination. Mold growth is virtually inevitable if moisture is not controlled. Moisture problems must be identified, located and corrected or controlled as soon as possible.
Application of these principles may involve multiple disciplines and professionals from a wide range of restoration and indoor environmental fields.
Flooding and water emergencies don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of McKinney provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays. You can expect an immediate response time, day or night.
In many cleaning and restoration situations, immediate action is needed. With over 1,700 U.S. and Canadian Franchise locations, SERVPRO is strategically positioned to be faster to any size disaster. An immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Water can be invasive, quickly spreading throughout your property and being absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, etc. SERVPRO of McKinney can arrive quickly and start the water extraction process almost immediately.
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may begin to grow.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister and bubble up.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
Bottom line for your property, act fast and do not delay! All water damages can quickly escalate to bigger problems if not dealt with. SERVPRO of McKinney is on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days year for your Water Emergency needs.