Cleaning Up Smoke and Soot
When even the smallest smoke or fire loss occurs in your home or office, smoke or soot damage can occur, even if there was little to no fire damage. If this happens, you need to make sure it is properly cleaned. SERVPRO® of McKinney has special cleaning solutions and equipment to clean up soot and smoke stains and to eliminate any lingering odor. These include:
- Dry Sponges
- SERVPRO’s ‘Wall and All’ Wash and Rinse solution
- SERVPRO’s Firestar cleaning solution
- Ozone Machines
- Hydroxyl Machines
Dry Sponges are used for ceilings and flat painted walls or surfaces that can't be wet washed. ‘Wall and All’ and SERVPRO Green solutions are used to clean glossy painted walls and most everyday surfaces, as well as cleaning contents.
After we have thoroughly cleaned the smoke and soot damaged areas, we can eliminate hard, set in odors by running an Ozone machine (the building must be vacated) or a Hydroxyl machine (the building does not have to be vacated) for several days in the affected areas. These machines deodorize the air and any contents within the given area.
We also offer RECONSTRUCTION services!
Call SERVPRO® of McKinney at 469-714-4955 for your fire and smoke restoration needs. We also offer reconstruction services!
Damaged Roofs Can Leak
Spring storm season is here. If your home has been affected by a hail storm, or if some roof shingles are missing or loose due to high winds, it is possible that rain will be able to leak into your attic. If this happens during a heavy rain storm, or if the situation continues unresolved, your home might also have interior water damage from rain. Putting a tarp over the damaged areas of your roof is a temporary solution until the roof repairs have been completed.
If rain has gotten into the insulation in the attic, it can absorb the water just like a sponge and within a few days the ceilings in your home might become saturated with water. If this happens, you will first notice water stains, but if the roof continues to leak, it is possible that the affected ceilings will begin to sag, and could possibly collapse into the living space. Water is invasive and can penetrate through the smallest holes, run down roof rafters, along ceiling joists and then down the studs in the walls. It can even seep under the baseboards, causing water damage to the flooring in your home.
Once the roof has been repaired, contact SERVPRO® of McKinney at 469-714-4955 to help with removing water soaked structural materials and drying the interior of your home. Our professionals use top-of-the-line equipment to extract the water and help speed up the drying process, which will help to reduce the extent of the damage. We also offer reconstruction services!
Water Damage Tips
Do you have water damage in your McKinney, Texas home or business? First, call SERVPRO® of McKinney at 469-714-4955. Until our crew arrives, here are some helpful hints:
Clean Water (e.g. a broken pipe or water supply line)
- Shut off the water source if possible.
- Do not enter rooms with standing water, as electric shock hazards may exist.
- Turn off circuit breakers for those areas that are wet if access is safe from potential electric shock.
- Do not turn on ceiling fixtures (if ceiling is wet).
- Do not enter rooms where the ceiling is sagging from retained water.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting in rooms that don't have standing water.
- Do not use a household vacuum cleaner to remove water.
- Protect carpet from staining by placing foil or plastic wrap beneath furniture legs.
- Remove books, newspapers, magazines or any other colored item on the floor as these items may cause staining.
- Remove wet cushions and prop them up to allow for even drying.
- Move paintings, documents or other valuable items that may be sensitive to moisture.
Contaminated Water (e.g. a toilet overflow or sewage backup)
- Avoid all contact with sewage and items contaminated by sewage.
- Wash your hands thoroughly if you come in contact with contaminated items.
- Do not walk through contaminated areas, as you could spread damage to unaffected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system to avoid the possibility of spreading contaminated air.
- Do not use household fans to dry the structure because the air flow could cause contaminates to spread.
- Throw away any food and/or products for personal hygiene if exposed to the contaminated area.
Call SERVPRO® of McKinney at 469-714-4955 for mitigation and restoration of your water damage. We also offer Reconstruction Services!
Water and Fire Restoration Services for Commercial Properties
There's never a convenient time for water or fire damage to strike your commercial property. SERVPRO® of McKinney, which is locally owned and operated, provides 24 hour emergency service and is dedicated to being faster to any-sized disaster in the McKinney, Texas area. We can respond immediately to your emergency and have the expertise to handle your restoration or cleaning needs.
Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when the need arises for professional cleaning or emergency restoration services, we have the training and expertise to respond promptly with highly trained technicians to get your property back in business. SERVPRO is a trusted leader in the restoration industry.
SERVPRO® of McKinney offers:
- 24-Hour Emergency Service
- Advanced Restoration and Cleaning Equipment
- Highly Trained Restoration Technicians
Call SERVPRO® of McKinney at 496-714-4955. Our phones are answered 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We also offer reconstruction services!
SERVPRO Offers Restoration and Reconstruction
What makes SERVPRO® unique for those who experience an emergency like water or fire damage? It’s our rapid response to your home or business! Our response team is ready 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year to come to your home or office to mitigate the loss and to prevent the damage from spreading throughout your property. We have state of the art equipment and technology that can extract water fast and start drying up damp areas. We have specific methods when it comes to cleaning your home or business from soot or smoke and deodorizing the area.
Locally, SERVPRO® of McKinney offers both restoration and reconstruction services, so you don’t have to find another company to replace or rebuild any materials that had to be removed. SERVPRO® of McKinney is the best choice you can make when it comes to any of your restoration or reconstruction needs. If a disaster strikes your home or business, you can put your trust in SERVPRO® of McKinney to get your home or business back to its preloss condition. Call SERVPRO® of McKinney at 469-714-4955 for all of your restoration and reconstruction needs!
Soot vs Smoke
Where there’s smoke, there’s fire… and frequently soot damage, as well. Smoke and soot are very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home or business, causing hidden damage and odor.
Smoke is the result of combustion. Smoke contains solids, liquids and gasses. If smoke contains hot oils, which are cooled rapidly, they can form a film on surfaces which can be difficult to remove.
Soot is the solid residues as a result of combustion. The three elements required for combustion are heat, fuel, and oxygen. Soot is the part of the material that did not burn. When combined with moisture soot becomes acidic. Soot residues are usually more attracted to cooler surfaces. The amount of soot residue increases as the temperature increases. The severity and amount of soot residue is increased with higher temperatures, prolonged combustion time and a lack of oxygen during combustion. When combined with heat and moisture, soot can cause many surfaces to become yellow. Soot from burned synthetic materials, such as plastics and vinyl are black and easily smudged. Soot from burned natural materials, such as wood and paper are gray.
Each fire, smoke and soot damage situation is unique, and requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. SERVPRO® of McKinney has the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire, smoke and soot damage.
Call SERVPRO® of McKinney at 469-714-4955 for your fire, smoke or soot restoration needs. We also offer reconstruction services!
Spring brings beautiful flowers and ugly storms! If you haven’t already done so, you should prepare for the spring storm season by developing an Emergency Plan and putting together a Home Emergency Kit, so that you and your family know what to do during stormy weather.
- Develop an Emergency Plan. Establish a safe meeting place inside your home, and make sure every family member knows where to go. In case you must evacuate your home, plan an evacuation route and establish a meeting place. Consider an escape ladder if your home has more than one level. If you have young children, elderly people or someone with special needs living in your home, make sure there is a plan in place that will help these loved ones get to safety.
- Create a Home Emergency Kit. Consider including the following items in your emergency kit: flashlights, portable radio, first aid supplies, essential medications, waterproof bags, matches, candles, batteries, landline phone, safety gear like gloves and goggles, drinking water and non-perishable food for 3-4 days. Also include emergency contact and doctors’ phone numbers, and a camera to document damage from the storm. Be sure to include non-perishable formula and diapers for babies, and pet food for your four-legged family members.
- Turn off or unplug major appliances such as microwaves, TVs, and computers. This will prevent damage to appliances and overloads to the power system when power is restored.
Damaged Documents Can Be Restored!
If you have had a water or fire loss at your business, call SERVPRO of McKinney to help with the restoration of your documents. In partnership with SERVPRO’s corporate office, we have access to scientifically proven methods to dry, clean, sterilize and deodorize your documents.
The documents will be inventoried and then shipped to our Corporate office, where they will be kept secure, with appropriate Chain of Custody tracking and HIPPA Certifications for all personnel in the Drying Chamber. Our services include:
- Vacuum Freeze drying: The documents will be frozen and then dried using various vacuums and pressures to achieve sublimation (the direct conversion of a solid, such as ice, into a gas, such as water vapor, without going through a liquid stage).
- Gamma Irradiation: If the documents were damaged by sewage or flood water, they will likely contain bacteria. Gamma Irradiation is a process that is used for cleaning, disinfecting and decontaminating documents.
- Digitizing: If you want your documents digitized, we have state-of-the-art equipment to turn your paper documents into a digital file.
- Certified Destruction: If needed, we also offer onsite destruction of your documents.
Call SERVPRO® of McKinney at 469-714-4955 for your document restoration needs.
Water Extraction, Drying and Dehumidification
Everyone is busy, so it’s not unusual for someone to turn on the dishwasher or start a load of laundry as they leave the house for work or to run errands, or even as they go to bed. Unfortunately, some people come home or wake up to find their home has flooded! If this happens, you need emergency water removal services now! SERVPRO® of McKinney has the expert technicians and equipment you need for fast and efficient water extraction, drying and dehumidification.
We begin by extracting all free-flowing water. Based on the science of psychrometry and with the use of moisture detection equipment, our technicians will then strategically place air movers and dehumidifiers in your home to create a favorable environment to dry out the structure as quickly as possible. Each situation is different, but oftentimes we are able to save drywall, hardwood floors, wood and metal studs, cabinets and much more by placing this equipment. We will check the drying progress on a daily basis and will keep you and your insurance company informed on the progress.
SERVPRO® of McKinney has the experience and expertise to help you when water has damaged your home. Call SERVPRO® of McKinney at 469-714-4955 if you need emergency water restoration services!
Commercial Cleaning Needs
If you have the need for specialized cleaning in your McKinney, Texas, business, you need a quick response and the expertise to get the job done right, ensuring your business can get back into operation as quickly as possible. Call SERVPRO® of McKinney at 469-714-4955 for your emergency cleaning or restoration needs.
SERVPRO of McKinney can provide fire and water cleanup and restoration services, plus the following services:
- Crime Scene, Biohazard and Vandalism Cleanup
- Carpet and Hard Floor Cleaning and Care
- Stain Removal, Stain Resistance Applications
- Odor Deodorization
- Upholstery Cleaning
- Contents Claim Inventory Service
- Air Duct and HVAC Cleaning
If you experience damage in your business, you need a quick response and the expertise to get the job done right, ensuring your business can get back into operation as quickly as possible. Through it all, you expect the most reliable information and the very best service at a fair price. Call SERVPRO® of McKinney at 469-714-4955 for your emergency cleaning and restoration needs.