Water Damage to Commercial Property
Water damage can strike your commercial property at any time and without notice. The effects of commercial water damage can be devastating to a business owner who is now faced with having to clean up the water damage, yet you also need to keep your business open as much as possible.
Do you know how to handle water damage at your commercial property? Are you prepared to make the necessary decisions to protect your property after a pipe breaks, your roof leaks, or the streets flood? What is your plan? Who can make the decisions?
Thankfully, this doesn’t have to be as scary as it sounds. A little preparation for a water damage emergency and a plan of action in the event it ever happens can significantly reduce property damage and will get you back to business as soon as possible.
Causes of Commercial Water Damage
Water damage can happen at any time. Whether from natural disasters, leaking roofs, frozen pipes, sewage backups, or flooding, water damage is a serious concern and a major threat to your commercial property.
Understanding the source of the water damage is essential for proper cleanup, as clean water from a broken pipe or a leaking roof during a rainstorm will be treated differently than floodwaters and sewage backups. Always protect your health, and let the commercial water damage experts handle the cleanup and restoration of your property.
SERVPRO® of McKinney is a locally owned business and is ready to serve our commercial customers 24/7, 365 days a year. Call SERVPRO® of McKinney at 469-714-4955.
Water Damage At Your McKinney Business
Whether you have a large or small business, the disruption that water damage can bring to your business can be costly and frustrating. To minimize the interruption to your business, SERVPRO® of McKinney emphasizes speed and timeliness in our commercial restoration projects. We will work with your schedule to keep your business running as functional as possible.
SERVPRO® of McKinney is available 24/7 and our crews are able to arrive on-site with the proper equipment within no more than four hours of your call. By responding quickly, we help to prevent further damage, saving days or even weeks of restoration time.
Our crews are equipped with professional drying and restoration equipment. Our water extractors pump out standing water at high speeds, our air movers remove any extra moisture from surfaces and our dehumidifiers reduce the humidity levels.
SERVPRO® of McKinney technicians are happy to explain what they're doing and will work to accommodate the specific needs of your business. Our office staff is also available to help, and will communicate on your behalf with your insurance company.
Call SERVPRO® of McKinney at 469-714-4955. Our phone is answered 24/7/365. We also offer reconstruction services!
It’s good to replace the batteries in your smoke detectors every twelve months, but you should also consider replacing the smoke detectors in your home or business if they are more than 10 years old. Most smoke detectors contain some electronic components, and after 8-10 years the alarm sensors wear out. At that point, the entire unit should be replaced. When you replace the unit, write the purchase date on the inside cover, so that you’ll always know when you purchased that unit.
Generally a smoke detector will let you know if the battery is low. If the smoke detector keeps chirping or there is a blinking red light you might need to change the battery. The smoke detector red light could also indicate that it is over 10 years old and needs to be replaced. A hard wired smoke detector with a red blinking light could indicate there is a problem with the wire connection.
A smoke detector in good working order is an essential component of your home's safety equipment and having at least one smoke detector means that you, your family and your home are safer.
SERVPRO® of McKinney is Ready When Storms Hit!
It’s the middle of a hot summer in Texas, but that doesn’t mean that a severe weather event can’t happen. If your home or business should sustain water damage during a sudden, heavy rainstorm, call SERVPRO® of McKinney for your water restoration needs. SERVPRO® of McKinney specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crew is highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your home or business to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, SERVPRO® of McKinney is able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response can reduce the initial damage to your property, which can also help to limit or eliminate secondary or additional damage to your property. A fast response might also help reduce the cost of restoration.
If you have storm or flood damage to your home or office, call SERVPRO® of McKinney at 469-714-4955. We also offer reconstruction services!
How to Minimize Water Damage
Do you have water damage in your McKinney, Texas home or business? First, call SERVPRO of McKinney at 469-714-4955. Until our crew arrives, here are some helpful hints:
Clean Water (e.g. a broken pipe or water supply line)
- Shut off the water source, if possible.
- Do not enter rooms with standing water, as electric shock hazards may exist.
- Turn off circuit breakers for those areas that are wet if access is safe from potential electric shock.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting in any rooms that don’t have standing water.
- Protect the carpet from staining by placing foil or plastic wrap beneath furniture legs.
- Remove cushions from upholstered furniture and prop them up to allow for even drying.
- Fold drapes or curtains on to the window sill or up over the rods.
- Move paintings, documents or other valuable items that may be sensitive to moisture.
- Do not leave books, newspapers, magazines or any other colored item on the floor as these items may cause staining.
Contaminated Water (e.g. a toilet overflow or sewage backup)
- Avoid all contact with sewage and items contaminated by sewage.
- Wash your hands thoroughly if you come in contact with contaminated items.
- Do not walk through contaminated areas, as you could spread damage to unaffected areas.
- Do not use household fans to dry the structure because the air flow could cause contaminates to spread.
- Do not turn on the HVAC system to avoid spreading contaminated air.
- Throw away any food and/or products for personal hygiene if exposed to the contaminated area.
Call SERVPRO® of McKinney at 469-714-4955 for mitigation and restoration of your water damage. We also offer reconstruction services!
Deodorization After a Fire
Whether large or small, a fire can cause odors to linger for weeks or months if the affected areas are not properly cleaned and deodorized. Fire, smoke and soot damage in your home or business can create unpleasant and potentially permanent odor problems.
As various materials burn, the smoke will travel throughout the structure, leaving odorous residues and deposits on surfaces and in hard to reach places. Unless fast, professional action is taken, these residues and deposits can cause damage to contents and may result in resurfacing odors.
SERVPRO® of McKinney professionals provide specialized services that rid your home or business of offensive odors left by fire or smoke damage. Any restorable item in affected areas will be professionally cleaned and ozoned, including: furniture, draperies and upholstery, electronics, art, flooring, walls, ceilings, HVAC air ducts, and more.
SERVPRO® of McKinney professionals do not cover up lingering odors with a fragrance, they seek out and remove the sources of the odor. Ask our professionals to explain the various deodorization methods available and which will work best for you.
If you experience fire damage or some other incident that requires deodorization services, contact SERVPRO® of McKinney at 469-714-7955.
Roof Damage During A Storm
Stormy weather or major weather events can happen any time during the year, and can result in damage to your roof. It’s important to take steps such as tarping or boarding the damaged roof to help reduce the potential damage to the inside of your home. In addition to preventing further damage to the roof, here are some other reasons to use a tarp or boards:
- The longer the damaged roof is left exposed to environmental elements, the more damage can occur. Potentially preventable problems could lead to an increase in your repair costs.
- Pests, such as squirrels or rodents, can sometimes find their way into your home through openings that resulted from the roof damage.
- Depending on the extent and location of the damage to your roof, there is a possibility that vandals or robbers could gain access to your home and destroy or steal your possessions. Tarping and boarding your home could be the deterrent you need.
- Until the roof has been professionally assessed by restoration specialists and properly boarded and tarped, you, other residents in your home, or anyone who visits your home could be at risk of injury from falling parts from the roof.
- Depending on your insurance policy, there could be a provision that requires you to take steps to mitigate the damage to your roof. If you fail to act, your claim may be denied or the settlement offer reduced.
By acting quickly to mitigate your roof damage, you could potentially save on the costs of repairs and avoid more serious consequences that can result from waiting.
Fire Safety Precautions
Not every home will catch on fire; but if it does happen, the best way to keep your family and home safe from a fire is to take action before it happens!
For your loved ones, take the time to:
- Plan and practice fire drills with your family;
- Have an escape plan from each room;
- For second story bedrooms, consider purchasing an emergency escape ladder;
- Develop a ‘buddy’ plan if there are young children or elderly residents in your home; and,
- Have a designated meeting place outside of your home to make sure everyone has safely made it out of the house.
Here are some precautionary steps to help fireproof your home:
- Check Your Smoke Alarms Often: Your smoke alarms will alert you of a fire before you see or smell smoke. Check them at least every six months and be sure to change the batteries.
- Keep A Fire Extinguisher In Your Home: A fire extinguisher can be used to put out some small fires and stop them from spreading. Every home should have one. If your home has more than one story, it's a good idea to have a fire extinguisher on each level.
- Never Leave Candles Unattended: Candles can easily catch furniture, papers and even hanging pictures and décor on fire. Be sure to extinguish candles when you leave the room and especially if you leave your home.
- Remove Clutter: Clutter that is too close to a heat source can catch fire. Get rid of clutter that could catch fire or block an escape route.
- Check Your Electric Cords, Sockets and Exposed Wires: Check your electric cords and exposed wires often to make sure they are intact and not damaged. Make sure the wall sockets are not too full and that all the plugs are secure.
Acting on these safety precautions will give you and your family peace of mind.
When Storms Hit, Call SERVPRO® of McKinney!
SERVPRO® of McKinney specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crew is highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your home or business to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, SERVPRO® of McKinney is able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response can reduce the initial damage to your property, which can also help to limit or eliminate secondary or additional damage. A fast response might also help reduce the cost of restoration.
When storms hit McKinney, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,700 Franchises across the country, as well as SERVPRO® Disaster Recovery Teams, which are strategically located throughout the United States.
If you have storm or flood damage to your home or office, call SERVPRO® of McKinney at 469-714-4955. Our phone is answered 24/7! We also offer reconstruction!
24/7 Water Restoration Services
We all lead busy lives, so it’s not uncommon for someone to start a load of laundry or turn on the dishwasher as they go to bed or leave the house. Unfortunately, some people wake up or come home to find their home has flooded because a water hose has failed. You need emergency water removal services now! SERVPRO® of McKinney is available 24/7 and has the expert technicians and equipment you need for fast and efficient water extraction and dehumidification.
We begin by extracting all free-flowing water. Based on the science of psychrometry and with the use of moisture detection equipment, our technicians will then place air movers and dehumidifiers in strategic places in your home to create a favorable environment to dry out the structure as quickly as possible. Each situation is different, but oftentimes we are able to dry and save items such as hardwood floors, carpet, baseboards, cabinets and drywall.
SERVPRO® of McKinney has the experience and expertise to help you when water has damaged your home. Call SERVPRO® of McKinney at 469-714-4955 for your water restoration needs. We also offer reconstruction services!