Not every home will catch on fire, but the best way to keep your family and home safe from a fire is to take action before it happens!
For your loved ones, take the time to:
- practice fire drills with your family;
- have an escape plan from each room; and,
- have a designated meeting place outside of your home to make sure everyone has safely made it out of the house.
For your home, take some precautionary steps now to fireproof your home:
- Check Your Smoke Alarms Often: Your smoke alarms will alert you of a fire before you see or smell smoke. Check them at least every six months.
- Keep A Fire Extinguisher In Your Home: A fire extinguisher can be used to put out some small fires and stop them from spreading. Every home should have one. If your home has more than one story, it's a good idea to have a fire extinguisher on each level.
- Never Leave Candles Unattended: Candles can easily catch furniture, papers and even hanging pictures and décor on fire. Be sure to extinguish candles when you leave the room and especially if you leave your home.
- Remove Clutter: Clutter that is too close to a heat source can catch fire. Once clutter catches on fire, it can make the fire worse and even stop you from getting out of your home during a fire. Get rid of clutter that could catch fire or block an escape route.
- Check Your Electric Cords, Sockets and Exposed Wires: Check your electric cords and exposed wires often to make sure they are intact and not damaged. Make sure the wall sockets are not too full and that all the plugs are secure.
Acting on these safety precautions will give you and your family peace of mind.
Where Is The Water Shutoff Valve At Work?
Employees usually call on the boss or the maintenance department when something goes wrong at the office. What if the boss or maintenance department isn’t available and a water pipe ruptures or a toilet overflows? Do your employees know what to do?
SERVPRO of McKinney can help business owners and commercial property managers in planning for water, fire or storm damage in advance. How? With a free Emergency Ready Profile created by the SERVPRO Marketing Department. By having a plan of action and including it as part of the regular training at your office you can minimize the damage and repair costs if an unplanned event, like a broken pipe, a fire or any other type of disaster, should happen.
Is your business ready for a disaster? Even a simple pipe burst can cause a lot of damage and headache. With a SERVPRO® Emergency READY Profile your business can have the critical information to minimize damages, provide the resources for the employees of the company and provide property details and information. This is a FREE service that we provide to commercial properties. Make an appointment today to get started!
If the unthinkable happens, call SERVPRO of McKinney at 469-714-4955. We’re here to help you 24/7!
Spring Storm Season
Spring storm season will soon be here, and when a major storm hits it may overwhelm local restoration companies. SERVPRO of McKinney can increase its resources by accessing the equipment and personnel of more than 1,700 Franchises. We can also access Disaster Recovery Teams that specialize in major storms and catastrophic events.
SERVPRO of McKinney specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response helps to reduce the initial damage, helps to minimize further damage and reduces the restoration cost.
When storms hit the McKinney area, we can handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,700 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have storm or flood damage? Call SERVPRO of McKinney today at 469-714-4955.
Water Restoration At Your McKinney Business
Flooding and water damage events at commercial properties can be complex due to numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
SERVPRO of McKinney professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, call SERVPRO of McKinney at 469-714-4955 and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
SERVPRO of McKinney specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Periodically Replace Your Smoke Detectors
We all know that it’s a good habit to replace the batteries in your smoke detectors every twelve months. But did you know that smoke detectors lose their effectiveness over time? Because most smoke detectors contain some electronic components, the average lifespan is 8-10 years. At that point, the entire unit should be replaced. When you replace the unit, write the date purchased on the inside cover, so that you’ll always know when you purchased that unit.
Generally a smoke detector will let you know if the battery is low. If the smoke detector keeps chirping or there is a blinking red light you might need to change the battery. The smoke detector red light could also indicate that it is over 10 years old and needs to be replaced. A hard wired smoke detector with a red blinking light could indicate there is a problem with the wire connection.
A smoke detector in good working order is an essential component of your home's safety equipment and having at least one smoke detector means that you, your family and your home are safer.
Water Damage Tips
Do you have water damage in your McKinney, Texas home or business? First, call SERVPRO of McKinney at 469-714-4955. Until our crew arrives, here are some tips to follow:
Clean Water (e.g. a broken pipe or water supply line)
- Shut off water source if possible.
- Do not enter rooms with standing water, as electric shock hazards may exist.
- Turn off circuit breakers for those areas that are wet if access is safe from potential electric shock.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting in rooms without standing water.
- Protect carpet from staining by placing foil or plastic wrap beneath furniture legs.
- Remove cushions and prop them up to allow for even drying.
- Move paintings, documents or other valuable items that may be sensitive to moisture.
- Do not leave books, newspapers, magazines or any other colored item on the floor as these items may cause staining.
- Do not use a household vacuum cleaner.
- Do not turn on ceiling fixtures (if ceiling is wet).
- Do not enter rooms where ceiling is sagging from retained water.
Contaminated Water (e.g. a toilet overflow or sewage backup)
- Avoid all contact with sewage and items contaminated by sewage.
- Wash your hands thoroughly if you come in contact with contaminated items.
- Do not walk through contaminated areas, as you could spread damage to unaffected areas.
- Do not turn on the HVAC system because there is a possibility to spread contaminated air.
- Do not use household fans to dry the structure because the air flow could cause contaminates to spread.
- Throw away any food and/or products for personal hygiene if exposed to the contaminated area.
Call SERVPRO of McKinney at 469-714-4955 for mitigation and restoration of your water damage.
Safety Tips If You Suspect Mold
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread mold throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which can become airborne and then circulate inside your home.
What Not to Do:
- Do not touch or disturb the mold.
- Do not blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Do not attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Do not spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of McKinney for mold remediation services.
If you find or suspect mold growing in your home or business, call SERVPRO of McKinney at 469-714-4955. We will call in an air quality consultant to take air samples and come up with the proper protocol to remediate the mold.
Why you should use SERVPRO of McKinney
If your home or business experiences water damage from any source, SERVPRO of McKinney has the equipment to help you get back to the pre-damage status as quickly as possible.
Moisture Detection and Measurement Equipment
Scientific drying principles rely upon specialized equipment to detect, measure and monitor moisture levels. Recent advances, like infrared cameras, can help us detect water through a wall, ceiling or floor.
- An infrared camera may be used to identify water location for complete water removal.
- Sensitive moisture detectors, hygrometers, and other meters measure the extent of moisture saturation.
Water Extraction Equipment
Powerful extraction equipment speeds the drying process by removing the bulk of the water from your home or business.
- Portable extraction units efficiently remove standing water.
Industrial strength air movers and dehumidifiers are needed to remove the remaining moisture from ceiling, walls and floors in your home or business. Proper drying helps to prevent swelling and warping of floors, walls and furniture.
- High-speed air movers cause moisture to evaporate at a faster pace.
- Industrial grade dehumidifiers pull the water vapor from the air.
Call SERVPRO of McKinney at 469-714-4955 for your water restoration needs.
Spring Storms in Texas
Spring is coming... and Texans know that means storms are coming, too! Whether it was surface water flooding that invaded your dwelling or damage to your roof or siding, your home or business could be permanently damaged if it hasn’t been properly restored.
During a storm the ground can become so saturated that it loses its ability to drain all the water. When this happens, dirt, lawn clippings, litter, animal feces, etc, will start to mix with the water. Whether it is still water or flowing water, these items will contaminate the water so that it becomes a health concern due to the diseases it can carry. It is important that any surface water be extracted from your home or office as quickly as possible.
Hail or high winds can cause severe damage to roofing materials, siding, stucco, windows, and doors, allowing rain to enter your home or business and cause damage. The resulting moisture causes damage to the structure, and if it’s not properly dried, the structure might develop another problem: mold. Mold starts growing in 48-72 hours, so time is of the essence to extract water, remove wet materials and dry out the building to reduce damage and lower the cost to repair.
When it comes to storm damage with resulting water damage, call SERVPRO of McKinney at 469-714-4955.
SERVPRO of McKinney is Here to Help!
When a disaster strikes your home or your business, the first call you should make is to SERVPRO of McKinney at 469-714-4955. Our phone is answered 24/7/365, no matter what time of day or night, and is even answered on weekends and holidays.
Once you are on the phone with our office, we will ask you some questions about the damage to your home or business, which helps our crew know what equipment and supplies will work best for your situation at that time. We will get your address and other pertinent information, such as your insurance information, since we work directly with insurance agents and adjusters so that all parties are aware of what is happening throughout the process.
After assessing the damage at your home or business and with your permission, the SERVPRO of McKinney crew will begin taking the appropriate steps to restore your home or business to its pre-damage condition.
Making SERVPRO of McKinney your first call after a water, fire, smoke, mold, biohazard, vandalism or storm loss will always be the best call you'll make!