Storms can come at any minute. They also can go from calm to very severe just as quickly. Be prepared at your home and business with an Emergency Kit. Ready.gov suggests you
have enough supplies to last for at least three days. Below are some suggested items to
include in your kit:
- 3-day supply of nonperishable foods
- Water (one+ gallon per person per day)
- First-aid kit
- Prescription medication
- Sleeping bag or blankets
- Fire extinguisher
- Hygiene products
- Extra batteries
- Cell phone charger
- Change of clothes
- Matches in waterproof container
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Whistle to signal for help
- Pet supplies
- Infant formula and diapers
- Important documents such as insurance policies, IDs, and bank records in a plastic container
It is also suggested you keep a condensed emergency kit in your vehicle as well. For a more extensive list,
check out Ready.gov.
A home fire can be devastating. The most important aspect is that you made it out of your home safely. You will begin asking yourself if some of your belongings can be saved. SERVPRO of McKinney professionals are experts in cleaning your contents after a fire. We can help answer these questions on what is restorable and what is not for you as we walk the property.
The first thing you will have to do is get rid of the water and moisture. Not doing so will cause further secondary damage and allow mold the chance to grow. We have the proper equipment to extract remaining water and air movers and dehumidifiers to properly dry out your structure. Put furniture on wood blocks if possible and hang clothes, draperies and pillows outside to dry. For non-damaged items, content storage is recommended so nothing can cause harm to them. We can help in this process as well.
For clothes, our professionals recommend dry cleaning. Don’t attempt to clean the clothes, draperies and any other textile items yourself as this can cause permanent damage to them and generally will not remove the soot. If salvageable, a restoration expert can remove the soot from your damaged items.
After you get rid of the soot, you will want to get rid of the smoke smell in textiles and throughout the home. Thoroughly vent your home as much as possible. The experts at SERVPRO of McKinney use specialized procedures such as ozone treatment and thermal fogging to effectively remove the smell. We have a ozone room at our warehouse to place your contents in.
Non-porous items are generally easier to clean than porous items. Ultrasonic treatment and high-pressure water are some of the procedures used. Our equipment and specially formulated cleaning products can successfully remove contamination from your belongings and restore them to preloss condition.
These are a few of the helpful ways you can follow to clean your content after a home fire. The professionals at SERVPRO of McKinney have the proper expertise, tools and equipment to get the job done right and can help with dry cleaning, content cleaning and content storage.
When To Use a Fire Extinguisher
Do you know where the closest fire extinguisher is in your home or place of work? Even more importantly, do you know how to use it? Both of these things are very important to know so you know what to do in case of an emergency and to keep you safe. Listed below are some tips on when to use a fire extinguisher during an emergency.
- The outside of the extinguisher is clean, and all parts are operable and not damaged or restricted
- You have identified an escape, and the fire is not between you and the route
- You have alerted other occupants, and someone has called the fire department
- You are safe from the toxic smoke produced by the fire
- The fire is contained to a single object, such as a wastebasket
These tips are good to know so you can safely use a fire extinguisher. It is also good to familiarize yourself with the location of the fire extinguisher in your home and workplace. Stay safe!
The IICRC and Mold Principles
The IICRC outlines five major principles of mold remediation.
1. Make sure safety and health precautions are taken by cleanup professionals, such as SERVPRO. Mold-contaminated buildings can be associated with a number of health problems. Anyone involved in the mold remediation process must be protected from exposure through a combination of practices and controls.
2. A post-cleanup assessment by an independent environmental expert. An effective mold remediation cannot be developed without first determining the extent of the contamination to be removed. To ensure that remediation work is being properly performed, it is highly recommended that appropriate documentation of the remediation process be kept by project management
3. Control of mold before it spreads further. Eliminating mold at the source of contamination is essential. Once mold spores spread through the air, it will be much more difficult to capture.
4. Oversee the proper physical removal of the mold. The mold must be physically removed from the structure. Attempts to isolate mold or remove signs of mold on the surface are not adequate. Note that bleach alone cannot kill mold.
5. Ensure that moisture is controlled to limit future contamination or recontamination. Mold growth is virtually inevitable if moisture is not controlled. Moisture problems must be identified, located and corrected or controlled as soon as possible.
Application of these principles may involve multiple disciplines and professionals from a wide range of restoration and indoor environmental fields.
Flooding and water emergencies don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of McKinney provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays. You can expect an immediate response time, day or night.
In many cleaning and restoration situations, immediate action is needed. With over 1,700 U.S. and Canadian Franchise locations, SERVPRO is strategically positioned to be faster to any size disaster. An immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Water can be invasive, quickly spreading throughout your property and being absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, etc. SERVPRO of McKinney can arrive quickly and start the water extraction process almost immediately.
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may begin to grow.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister and bubble up.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
Bottom line for your property, act fast and do not delay! All water damages can quickly escalate to bigger problems if not dealt with. SERVPRO of McKinney is on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days year for your Water Emergency needs.
Home Maintenance to Help Against Storms
Increase grade: The earth around the home should be sloped away from the house to divert water away. Very simply, borrow earth from three feet away from the structure, and toss it against the side of the house thus creating the slope.
Clean rain gutters: Schedule a licensed professional to clean gutters annually. A clogged rain gutter can send water cascading down the exterior wall, which can result in water entering the interior walls.
Divert down spouts: In a quick run to the local hardware store, homeowners can find a black, plastic corrugated 6-inch hose that fits around the base of the downspout. This device carries water away from the house, preventing it from seeping down into the foundation.
Roof maintenance: Where rain is concerned, the roof is the first line of defense. One small tear in a rubber membrane or crack in a tin roof, or compromise in the plywood structure of the roof can prove disastrous for the entire interior of the home. But regular maintenance can preserve the life of the roof. Have a roofer check out your home every five years.
Window repairs: Proper window installation and maintenance is imperative. Modern windows are fitted with wells and drains designed to help direct water outside the house. Improper caulking can prove disastrous by sending water into the house that should be draining away from the window.
Sweep away debris: Especially during spring and fall seasons, when the area’s great trees emit pollen in tumble weed fashion and drop their leaves in mass, it is critical to diligently sweep outdoor surfaces weekly, especially patios and door wells to prevent the collection of debris clogging exterior drains.
What to Expect
SERVPRO of McKinney is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of McKinney has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration—in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO of McKinney professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- The street address of the water-damaged home or business
- When did the flooding or water damage occur?
- Is there standing water?
- What caused the water damage (if known)?
- Is there electricity available (on-site)?
About SERVPRO of McKinney
SERVPRO of McKinney specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility in Gallatin, TN to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Commercial Cleaning and Damage Restoration
Did you know SERVPRO is not just for disasters such as floods, water damage, or fires in the home? We also help Commercial Businesses on their losses! We are here to help get your business back up and running as quickly as possible.
SERVPRO of Mckinney technicians are certified to clean and sanitize: Upholstery, Carpeting, Hard Flooring, and other hard surfaces. Refresh your carpeting and office cubical- we also specialize in odor removal and deodorization! Additionally, we are available after hours if services are needed when customers and/or clients are not present. That means we are available to assist you 24/7 - 365!
SERVPRO of McKinney technicians are reliable, certified professionals and are here to help return your business to it's preloss condition!
Is your business prepared for a disaster?
Would your business be prepared in the event of a disaster?
What would you do if your business suffered: Water Damage, Fire Damage, Smoke Damage, Mold, or a Bio-Hazard contamination? Do you have a plan in place? SERPVRO of McKinney offers at no charge a business "Ready Plan" app for your phone that will walk you through a preparedness plan that could save your business $1,000's.
As many as 50% of businesses close down following a disaster, according to the latest research. Of the businesses that survive, the overwhelming majority of them had a preparedness plan in place. In general, the faster the response time to a disaster, the less secondary damage can occur. SERVPRO of McKinney is "faster to any disaster" and works with you and your employees every step of the way.
The SERVPRO Ready Plan app will guide you through a: Water Damage event, Fire Damage event, Mold, Bio-Hazard contamination, and more. Pre-planning and having this app on the ready can help to give you tremendous peace of mind.
By developing a SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile for your business, you minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action. Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance is the key to timely mitigation and can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your business.
If Storm Damage Hits
We're Faster to Any Size Disaster
When a storm hits your McKinney, TX home or business, you need help immediately. Our 24 hour emergency response will help prevent secondary damage and help reduce restoration costs.
As a leader in storm and water damage restoration, SERVPRO of McKinney has the specialized training and expertise to restore your home back to its pre-storm condition. Our restoration process puts an emphasis on scientific drying techniques, progress monitoring and documentation.
- Water Damage Restoration Technician
- Applied Structural Drying Technicians
Major storms and flooding events can overwhelm many restoration companies. On the other hand, SERVPRO of McKinney can access resources from 1,700 Franchises across the state and country and even utilize Disaster Recovery Teams for major storms and disasters.